Sunday, July 24, 2011

Am I a poster-boy for double-standards?

The killer in Olso, Norway has claimed that video games were a vital training component for carrying out his massacre. I just knew, as soon as I read that, that people would come out of the woodwork decrying video games as murder simulators and empathy eroding systems.

In my mind I scoffed at this, pretending to point out the millions of gamers around the world who literally don't go on killing sprees and are horrified by this news.

But this made me think of an argument against religion that atheism activists make. The argument is that while not all religious people are violent extremists, mainstream religion provides a respectable cover for them to foment extremism.

So, am I for this argument when it comes to religion and scoff at the argument when it applies to something I enjoy?

No comments:

Post a Comment