Sunday, August 7, 2011

I got witnessed to!

I took Cole to one of the local parks and, while he was playing, I was sitting on a bench enjoying a coffee. A red Dodge Calibre pulled up on the street beside the park and a stocky man wearing black pants, a white button-up t-shirt and a baseball cap got out. The man walked straight up to me.

Though in the excitement I forgot his name, I do remember that he introduced himself as a pastor. He told me, in breathless tones, how he had accepted Jesus Christ into his heart at the age of 22 and gave me the whole spiel about how all people have to do is accept him and it's not based on works, etc., etc., as though he had given this speech 15 times already before reaching me. I noticed his accent wasn't local.

"What is your name, sir?" he asked.

"My name's Christian," I replied.

This gave him pause.

By now my heart was pounding and adrenaline was making me want to get up and perform some kind of primal display, so I took a few deep breaths to try to calm myself. I always get this way when confronted with someone who espouses a philosophy I consider completely wrong.

"Do you consider yourself a sinner?"

"Nope."

"You don't think you're a sinner?"

"No I don't."

"Well the bible teaches that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God-"

"Well-"

"But let me ask you this, have you ever told a lie?"

"Oh! I know this one! Ray Comfort does this one! You ask me if I've ever told a lie, I admit to you that I have, and then you say that I'm a liar as though this were a way of life or my job or something-"

"Well, I sure am glad I got the chance to talk to you today and shine the light of the Lord on your heart. You have a good day, sir."

"And you."

He started walking briskly back to his car when I called out to him.

"Where are you from?" I asked.

He paused as though considering whether or not he should answer me. He half-turned back.

"North Carolina."

"Well, all right."

He got in his car and drove off.

The other lady at the park, there with his little boy, turned to me and said "That was so weird!"

No comments:

Post a Comment