Sunday, December 11, 2011

Political Correctness.

Fuck it.

There, I said it. You heard me! I refuse to be politically correct! I don't take it into consideration and I hate it when it's complained about! I'm a modern man and I can decide what's offensive or not!

So who complains about it, you ask? Well, I'll tell you... feminists... no, they don't. Minorities complain.. no wait, it's not them either. Well maybe the disabled... nope, not really. Oh! A quick browse around the web reveals that the people who complain about political correctness are the people who say they won't conform to it.

Damn right! If they're being forced to conform - wait, who's trying to force them to conform if they're the only ones complaining about it?

Okay, I'm going to have to re-think this.

It seems, actually, that the people who complain about about political correctness are the people who think that they're bravely taking a stand against people who are "just looking for a reason to get offended". Alright, I'm going to have to perform a little more research.

(Pause in the blog while I read Reddit, Men's Rights pages, vicious anti-feminist pages, and the blogs of people with an abundance of privilege)

Okay, here's the thing. Resistance to political correctness seems to be espoused by people who want to use oppressive language and disregard criticism while continuing to leave their privileges unexamined. They seem to think they're being heroes, fighting against people who are trying to silence them. But the flaw in their reasoning is that, generally, no one is trying to silence them, they're overreacting to criticisms. It's a common reasoning flaw that people tend to interpret criticism as attempts at silencing. So if they're the brave heroes in this narrative, then who's the villains? Feminists, anti-racism activists, and a whole host of other progressives. The biggest mistake that anti-progressives make (because that's what the PC complainants are), is thinking that all progressives are complaining about is insensitive language and that, further, making sure that everyone speaks in a PC manner is OUR END GOAL.

So what about what I said above? That' I'm not PC and I'm not ashamed of it. Still true. However, on the other hand, I try not to use oppressive language. Not because I want to make sure to be sensitive (though I do), but because I think that using oppressive language is exclusionary and I don't want to exclude people.

And, further, I'm not perfect and I know it. I'm going to make mistakes. This is my promise. I'll consider criticisms leveled at me, examine to see if I've done something wrong, and, this is the most radical part, I'll apologize.

Thanks,

Christian

No comments:

Post a Comment